I have been encouraged by reading blog posts from other mothers who recognise the importance of our task in bringing up children in a Christian way. "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6





Sunday, April 18, 2010

But you, O Lord, are a God full of compassion...

I was cleaning the glass sliding doors this morning, a job I'd been putting off for a few days.  It seems such a thankless task; no sooner is it done than those sticky little fingerprints are back again!  Sometimes the culprits come to see what I'm doing on the other side of the door, putting their hands on the glass I've only just cleaned and smiling endearingly.
So much housework can seem like that- there doesn't seem to be anything to show for the time and effort it takes. This morning, as I was polishing away, I thought- God must sometimes feel that way about me!  He wants to do a transforming work in me, and it is such a slow process! Imagine if he decided to give up on me when He has to speak to me again and again about the same thing! I felt overwhelmed at the thought of his goodness towards me, and thought of the words in Psalms:  "But you, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth." Psalm 86:15
I looked it up, and the whole Psalm is so good!    For me, verse 14 applies to the stubbornness and pride I find in my own life.  My prayer is, "Teach me your way, O Lord; I will walk in your truth!" (v.11)

Bow down your ear, O Lord, hear me: for I am poor and needy.
2 Preserve my soul; for I am holy: O you my God, save your servant that trusts in you.
3 Be merciful to me, O Lord: for I cry to you daily.
4 Rejoice the soul of your servant: for to you, O Lord, do I lift up my soul.
5 For you, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy to all them that call on you.
6 Give ear, O LORD, to my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.
7 In the day of my trouble I will call on you: for you will answer me.
8 Among the gods there is none like to you, O Lord; neither are there any works like to your works.
9 All nations whom you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord; and shall glorify your name.
10 For you are great, and do wondrous things: you are God alone.
11 Teach me your way, O Lord; I will walk in your truth: unite my heart to fear your name.
12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart: and I will glorify your name for ever more.
13 For great is your mercy toward me: and you have delivered my soul from the lowest hell.
14 O God, the proud are risen against me, and the assemblies of violent men have sought after my soul; and have not set you before them.
15 But you, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious, long suffering, and plenteous in mercy and truth.
16 O turn to me, and have mercy on me; give your strength to your servant, and save the son of your handmaid.
17 Show me a token for good; that they which hate me may see it, and be ashamed: because you, Lord, have helped me, and comforted me.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for that beautiful thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I love to see how much we can learn from our children!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I like to know who's been for a visit.